Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Cycle

50km moderate pace with 4-5 x 5km at Olympic/Race pace

I did this on the stretch of road from Kona up the Queen K highway. The bike had been serviced and apart from a couple of things i'd expected them to do it was all in working order. It's improved position wise on the bike as well. I'm not sure what exactly is responsible; stretching, massage, or lowering the saddle a fraction but i'm not complaining.

It was a great confidence booster, feeling fairly comfortable throughout. I'll get some pictures up when I get back - it's just a windy wasteland of lava fields.

Mum and Bill arrived yesterday evening so everyone is here now.
We went for a swim at Hapuna beach in the morning.
Then onto Kona to register - this was an eye opener. I was taken through a miriad of legal forms, basically saying it was all at my own risk and I wouldn't sue them. You don't have anything like this in the UK. Also lots of eye contact, hand shaking and well wishing from the large group of volunteers.
Then the "chance" to buy a load of Ironman branded tat. I had planned to get a few things but became quickly cynical about it all. I ended up getting a little towel for my swim bag.
That sums up my reaction to most things - I had thought about getting a tattoo but when it comes down to it, it doesn't seem such an attractive idea.
Then onto the parade of nations - everyone walked down Ali drive with the flag of your country. Ella had got me a flag, that intially I was a little shy about waving around. I was hoping to see Chrissie Wellington (the british female winner and course record holder) but she must have been resting.
The person bringing up the back of the "parade" was someone in a grim reaper costume and a sand timer. They will be (without costume) taking people off the course if they are falling behind the cutoff time. I hope I don't get to meet them on Saturday.

Then off to the expo - all the brands you can think of were there. The best area was probably specialized who are announcing their new "SHIV" bike they had a massive stand. Tim Don was there and a lot of our Olympic hopefuls - I think they are here just for a free holiday, but wouldn't be surprised to see them move up to the longer events after the olympics (there's more money!)

George did well and got given loads of sweets. Daddy ate way too much free stuff as well. There were some new "powerbar chocolate protein bites" I kept going back for more. I'll call it carbo loading.

The main thing to work out now is where i'm going to keep all the tools on the bike. Changing the saddle has meant i've lost the associated saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment