Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Monday 7 June 2010

3km Swim no breaks

Most people would agree you don't need to do the ironman distance straight in training. There are a lot of people who finish in the top 10 who would never swim more than 400m in one go in training - you loose form and can't keep the intensity up. I find it helps confidence though.

Read a couple of interesting articles -

British journal of sports medicine 2008; 42: 796-801
It was about drinking strategies in sport and that you should use thirst as your primary cue and forget about blanket recommendations from sports drink companies.

Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise; Jan 2001, Vol 33 (1) pp 127-141
About squats - basically they are a lot safer than we have been led to believe - especially if your not doing mega weights and just trying to improve your cycling/running. May be time to go to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment