Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Swim

Ascending pace set

200m warm up
8 x 50m as 25 easy 25 solid
Main set - 2 x (5 x 200m on 30 sec recovery) 3mins between sets
as; 50 easy 50 aerobic 50 solid 50 hard
50m warm down

total = 2.7km

There was meant to be a longer warm up and 650m longer cool down but I had to fit it into an hour. Will was in the creche and having a great time in the soft play.

Pace wise I tried to make the aerobic pace = race pace and hard = above race pace.
For the first time I actually felt what part the lats play - maybe it was the massage yesterday that helped?

Got some protein from www.myprotein.com - they are at least half the price of Holland and Barrett etc, If you use them please use my referrer code: MP377965 and we can save some money.

Listened to IM talk podcast today www.imtalk.me  episode 240 - thought provoking interview with Bret Sutton - He has coached Tim Don and Chrisie Wellington. Bottom line - he rejected most of what everyone does.
- No gym for swimming (as you'd need to do 3800 reps to simulate a race)
- Forefoot running is a fad. Concentrate on keeping upright and turning the legs over.
- Triathlon is a sport in itself - don't train for the sports separately
- Ideal cadence is very personal - he has people on the podium who go at 60 and high 90s - It will depend which allows you to run best off the bike.
- Don't go over board on volume - the best way to train is to find out what heart rate you will race at and do your training slightly above it. This means slow by normal measures eg, 40x100m swim reps, 20x800m runs.
- He does a 10 day cycle rather than 7
- He doesn't do the normal taper by decreasing volume and increasing intensity - He concentrates on aerobic fitness throughout. He found too many people were performing well in training but going off when the intensity went up.

Changed chain on bike - it's been on there for 3 years! I know that's bad. Great method to get it the right size: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain (scroll down to chain length)

No comments:

Post a Comment