Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Saturday 5 June 2010

Quasi rest day today

Stretching
A few weights
Balance board
Power breathe
Some single leg spinning on the bike for a few minutes
Tinkering with bike position
Took son for  a bit of a cycle and kick around with the football

It was difficult to resist doing a proper session - but i'm planning to cycle to Brighton and back tomorrow and then do a 10-12km run. Need to be back to do the family thing and think the weather may get worse in the afternoon, so early start. There's no real point going into this with a lot of fatigue in the legs hence the rest day. Will be leaving London 6am if anyone wants to come (assuming I wake up)

Should really do this on the time trial bike but can't face six hours on the aerobars on main roads tomorrow, want to enjoy it!

I mentioned the powerbreathe - I'm a sucker for new gadgets and bought this a couple of years ago. Used it for a while and then it lay in a draw. I actually read the formal research about it recently and have started using it again. It works by delaying respiratory muscle fatigue - a newly found neural circuit exists that serves to reduce blood flow to working muscles (legs) when the respiratory muscles fatigue. So by training your respiratory muscles you delay the onset of fatigue in your legs. Anyway, the study group at Brunel took 30 breaths twice a day which isn't much of an investment.

http://www.powerbreathe.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment