Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Monday 21 May 2012

Turbo

Tempo session - 51min at 250W 85rpm
51min because I had to quickly jump off and adjust the fan so it's really 50min

My motivation for this was low but kicked in after a few minutes which made for a great session. Deep down I think I was going for 60min, last time I did 40min so i'm happy. I could have ground out another 10mins but I think i'm starting to learn a few things;

The sweet spot for me heart rate wise is somewhere between 137 and 154bpm give or take a bit. This apparently gives a good training response without risking overtraining and allows you to do something the following day. I've noticed at heart rates above this my technique starts to suffer which is probably part of the explanation. 

I also made a few adjustments to the position - saddle as far forward as it will go. I've always wanted to try this as it opens the hip angle up which should make running easier. It was now or never seeing as there's 9 weeks to go. The left leg didn't like it but the right did.

Also checked out a nearby cricket pitch that people use as a 400m track and put a 10km trail route into the garmin.

Reading Chrissie Wellington's autobiography - extreme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment