Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Friday 2 July 2010

Swim technique lesson

Some good bits compared to last time and some awful - First 15mins involved getting told off by Ray for not going more often - he has a point but don't think he realised the Job and Family commitments.






Stretch class

Some thoughts;
about optimising the bike - just aware of how even a couple of watts saving feels like a godsend after a couple of hours - this is equivalent to removing a straw from an aero drink bottle at 40km/hr (not that i'll be going that fast!) Having said all this most drag comes from the rider, not the bike.

A few things said by "the professor" Chris Boardman

90% of energy on bike goes into overcoming air resistance

Equipment cost for reduction in watts at 40km/hr;
Aerohelmet = £5.70/watt
Aerowheels  = £40/watt
Time trial frames = Will knock 20 watts of drag off at 40km/hr
Clip on aerobars = £2/watt

Aerobottle in front - main advantage is not having to move into the wind to drink if you can manage this
Bottle on seat tube increases drag
Bottle on down tube actually reduces drag

An interesting point - although aerodynamics play a larger part as speed increases they make more of a difference to the slower riders because they are out there longer. I didn't realise this.

No comments:

Post a Comment