Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Tuesday 6 July 2010

Turbo Run Brick

4hour turbo
Main set after warm up - 6x15km on 7mins recovery
Did this as 30mins at 225-210W (see discussion below)

8km run at IMP with 2km warm down off the bike

This was a hard session - mainly because tried to keep the aero position on the bike as much as possible. Whenever in it though my heart rate went up 5-6 bpm. So I reduced the watts on the last three intervals so the heart rate remained similar. This allowed me to stay in the position for ten minutes at a time before needing a break and having another go. 

So need to work out how many watts the position actually saves verses the watts lots due to the position. 

Ran well off the bike - was meant to do 10km with a 2km warm down - went way too fast though and slowed up at 8km as calf was a bit tight - this is a good reminder to stick to the plan. A 3.15marathon would be 4.38min/km pace not 4min/km that I was doing. 
See http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm - it's a great calculator to see what pace gives you what time for a variety of distances and what paces you should be training at. 

Also still chugging through the drink - good that I seem to be able to tolerate a lot more than before but means I need to make allowances for this.

Did a little bit of research about transitions - mine have always been poor
1. slow getting wetsuit off - apparently spray on cooking oil seems to work well - may try it
2. elastic bands to hold your bike shoes in place when getting on the bike - think this needs a bit of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment