Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Saturday 18 June 2011

Swim

200m Concentrating on thumb up hand entry, elbow leading recovery
200m Trying to see the palm of my hand at the front of the stroke
200m With PT paddles
200m With band round ankles (25m repeats)
200m Sighting - whilst breathing to left for half then to right
200m Keeping middle finger down midline of body

5 x 200m on 25 seconds recovery at IMP - this was 25 seconds a length

200m Breathing every 5 strokes
200m Taping shoulder on recovery
50m straight arm recovery
50m Waterpolo - head up throughout.

So a bit drill crazy with an IMP main set.
Had some good improvement;
- band round ankles is getting much better, you have to elevate the rate and make sure you don't miss the catch at the start. May be able to go for 2 lengths soon.
- Sighting: i've never been able to sight with my right arm extended out - probably because of years of only breathing to the right. I had a good think about what the difference was and tried to copy this with my right arm extended, finally got it by the end.
- Middle finger drill - helped to keep the pull through going.
- Main set, haven't done this for a while. This was the main thing I was doing once a week at the start of the year. Found it hard to start with but settled into it and actually found I was half a length ahead on the last set. The main thing was to relax a little, trust the stroke and not rush. I would go the same speed for double the effort to start with - like running on ice.
- Breathing every five strokes - really pleased as hasn't felt good like this before, this could really improve things as breathing is where most people's strokes really suffers.
- Waterpolo - what can I say - amazingly difficult and exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment