Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Tuesday 12 July 2011

(am) Turbo

Cadence/heart rate pyramid
5min 85rpm
10min 90rpm
10min 95rpm
10min 100rpm
20min 105rpm (still aerobic)
10min 90rpm

I found this tough. Probably due to the mileage at the weekend. Still playing round with the position, wedges in/out. What I have learnt from this - it's easier to workout your bike position when doing these high cadence workouts. Set up problems show themselves much earlier on. This is really worth remembering.

(pm) Run

Easy aerobic, 1hr25min

This was meant to be 1hr 45min but I had a few twinges in the calves so cut it. Did a bit of run walk at the end, I think my legs have become a bit better at this now. This was all meant to be "on the trail" - Southbank on the Thames doesn't really have the springy surface of a trail. This may explain the protest from the legs.

Tomorrow is a turbo/run brick. I have both the kids on my own all day so it will have to be late on. Anyway got a load of carbohydrate down me straight away to try and get the muscles stocked up. I've been doing a fair bit of research on carbohydrate loading and recovery in general. I will try and bring it all together and get it on-line.
Trying out Quinoa again today, didn't get on with it before but I think that was because I wasn't soaking it. It's meant to be a "superfood" which usually means a load of unsubstantiated hype.
Following all this reading on carbohydrate i'm going to see how much I have everyday. It's 11pm and i've had 465g. The physiologists reckon this sort of training should see you having 4g/lb body weight a day - that's a lot. More research needed!

Bought a pair of compression tights from the chemists today - there's fairly good consensus that they help with recovery. The jury is still out about wearing more fashionable compression clothing during exercise. Feel a little like a hospital in patient when I tried them on.




No comments:

Post a Comment