Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Thursday 7 July 2011

Swim

Recovery pace
1. 800m easy
2. 1000m every 3rd 25m as 2 arm drill (2 strokes with right then 2 with left) with pull
3. 8x100m easy aerobic with pull
4. 350m with pull and paddles - 2 arm drill down, catch up back.

Core exercises (with the help of little Will who just laughed and jumped on me throughout)
25mins

Felt fairly flat all day. This childcare is hard work. Good after the swim though.

Couple of related things today:

Finished off reading my old biochemistry notes on fat/carbohydrate metabolism. It's been good to get a better understanding - mainly so I don't get taken in by all the manufacturers hype. I'll put it into the nutrition section (see main page)

Listened to IM talk podcast today, episode 243: interview with Hunter Allen. He is the man behind the WKO+ software that all the cycling pros use to analyse their cycling data. He also owns the company "training peaks" http://home.trainingpeaks.com/ Having read his book training with power it was good to hear what he had to say. Bullet points;
1. For ironman aim to race at 75% of your functional threshold power (that's what you could do for an hour)
2. Try and the power as even as possible (avoid spikes)
exceptions are:
- hills, go harder providing it's not too long and you can recover the other side
- wind, go harder into the wind because a tail wind neutralises fitness - everyone goes fast with a tail wind so you need to go faster into the wind to get separation.
3. The power profile that mimics proper cycle racing which you can train for is 15s at 150% followed by 15s at 50% repeated.
4. The real power test for ironman is how long can you go at 85-90% of your functional threshold - he mentioned 3 hours would be good!


No comments:

Post a Comment