Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Tuesday 27 September 2011

Brick

Bike 2hours with 4 x 5km at race/olympic pace on 3min easy spinning
Run 40min easy aerobic pace

We spent the morning on the famous Ali drive in Kona (everyone was up at 4am). This is the road where the swim start is. We had breakfast at Lava Java - apparently next week the queue will be down the street. It was hard not to get psyched out by the steady stream of people running with their tops off (leaner than me!) or riding their bikes (faster than mine!) I made it over to a bike shop later on to buy all the things I had forgotten.

Also got the swim skin - these are worn over your tri kit and claim to make you more slippery in the water. I was pleasantly surprised that it was 30% cheaper than getting it in the UK. George and Will found it hard - it was hot and humid.

The cycle in the afternoon was better than yesterday, on part of the course. It got dark quicker than expected. It was nerve wracking with the huge American cars - I got the feeling they wern't that bike aware or friendly. It seems like i'm back to square one with the bike position. The tape measure will have to come out tomorrow and i'll make sure i've got all the dimensions right.

Hope to get over to the Volcano tomorrow with everyone as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment