Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Sunday 4 September 2011

Up at 6am
Brick
Turbo
3 hours with intervals totalling 100min, total 200W 90rpm
The aim here was to get some more time in the aero position. Initially wanted to do it at race pace but mentally it wasn't happening so I took the intensity down and was happy to get the volume in.

Run
Then cycle to victoria park, Hackney for the Middlesex 10km

I wanted to use the race simulation to gauge where I am and also to train the mental side of things a bit more (to stick to a plan!)
- The main thing was to run at ironman pace for the first 5km (4.15m/km) and then up the pace for the last 5km (negative split)
- what actually happened, went a little too fast early on (I blame the watch saying I was going slower). Managed to increase the pace for the last half. My right calf started protesting, so I was probably a little foolish to keep this pace - I hope it settles quickly and I doesn't affect training.
- I've been hearing a lot of talk about negative splits recently. I'm now sold on this strategy. Although an even pace is probably the very fastest way, a negative split means you're passing people in the last half of a race and this is incredibly positive mentally. This also applies to the bike.
- This worked really well today - it got me out of bed and going sooner than normal (which meant I was done earlier!), and it simulated several aspects of racing - so motivational and specific.

So compression tights on now, and legs up. 

I'm 2Kg heavier than my weight at Bolton - who knows whether this is fat or muscle! I've just downloaded an app that looks really good for keeping tabs on calories etc, it's called "calorie counter by mynet diary" it looks really user friendly and there's also a website that syncs (and it's free) I'm not really one for all this but if you measure something its much more likely to happen. 





No comments:

Post a Comment