Welcome

I started this blog in 2010 when there were 11 weeks to go before my next Ironman triathlon. People have found it interesting (mainly my Mum!) so I continue to write.
The Ironman is a long distance triathlon; Swim 2.4miles, Cycle 112miles, Run 26.2 miles (marathon). I have competed in one every year since 2004. I hope this blog can help others see what is involved. I find the process of writing it makes me more accountable and motivates me to do the harder sessions when i'm not feeling like it!

Sunday 1 April 2012

Turbo

Warm up - spin scan
4 x 20min x 250W x 80-85rpm on 10min recovery
Cool down - spin scan

I'm managing to balance my bike sessions well at the moment. Short strength, 5min VO2/Threshold, 20min, & Tempo. I'm not doing any long rides as that would leave no family time and the marathon has the endurance component.

About 4 years ago I tried doing this 20min session at 250W with the plan of adding one block a month. I found it absolutely impossible to progress that quickly. So today it was great to finally look like that could be a reality.

I found out how to use the spin scan function properly this week. Seven years after buying it! It has the potential to make a difference. The plan now is to do that as a warm up and cool down. During the cool down today I could see the left leg was producing a lot less power and the form had gone. That was a big wake up call - knowing how to pedal well wrongly made me assume that was what I was doing. Maybe that explains the right leg issues - it has to compensate for the left.

The heart rate data is a little unbelievable.
The Red graph was Feb 4th this year and the Blue today - a massive drop in heart rate for the same amount of work - I will give this some thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment